This blog has moved to http://ikhwanhayat.net

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Visual Studio Hacks - Ask The Pros: Debugging

In this article from Visual Studio Hacks site, several hotshots in the industry discuss their tricks for debugging in Visual Studio .NET I myself had wanted to write something about the art of debugging, the tools, etc for quite a long time. But I guess the lack of spare-time and also my inadequate level of skills hindered me to do so. Many of us young programmers ignored the importance of debugging in our life. In you lifespan as a programmer, how much time do you spend on tracking errors and bugs? A lot? Maybe more than the time you spent on typing codes isn't it? Yeah sure, you can always do a "printf" (or "echo" if you dig PHP). If that's the only way you know to investigate the content in your variables, then you've missed quite a lot I tell you. Some tools that I can't live without are like the breakpoint, step-over, step-into, watch, a bunch more. If you're using a modern IDE, for any language/platform, much probably you already got these features. So master your weaponry. But if you don't already have debugging tools, find one, add it to your arsenal. Having the correct debugging tools and the skills to use it can save a hell lot of time, and make your programming task less painful.

2 Comments:

At 12/02/2005 10:20:00 am, Blogger kitchenkidscoffee said...

yep, all the bugs started to make me sick..

unfortunately, i can't forget your word 'mengumbang' hahahah!!!

 
At 12/03/2005 12:23:00 am, Blogger Ikhwan Hayat said...

Hehe, debungging tools are like a hammer to smack those pesky bugs, printf/cout/echo/write/whatever is a screwdriver.. yeah u can use it, if u wanna quick solution and the screwdriver is the nearest object.. but dont go all the way with it..

One language find hard to work with is JavaScript. I dont know, they just sometimes behave differently. Firefox has JavaScript debugging tools built-in. If you're on IE, enable script debugging, and when error occurs there'll be a popup, choose yes and then you can debug in Visual Studio.

You can put the keyword "debugger" in your code to purposely make the browser call the debugger. I works like a breakpoint.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home