anti-keseronokan (old)
Fun Stuff for Anti-Fun People
Thursday, October 13, 2005
SlickRun : Slicker Than Your Average
Several years ago I got my hands on LiteStep. This Windows shell replacement is quite nice. Sweet and simple, suitable for my minimalist taste. But then one day, I formatted my machine, and never actually setup the LiteStep again. Going through the config files is not quite a pleasant thing to do.
But there's this one feature that I missed a lot. It got this one little box where you can type-in commands to run programs and sorts. I don't have to take my lazy hand off the keyboard to pick up the mouse to click icons. I liked it a lot. I even thought of making something like that by my own. Yeah, I can use the Windows+R run dialog, but that thing is too hideous to play with.
And then I found this; SlickRun. Owh yes, the run box is back! With additional slickiness!! And the config is awesomely simple to use, loads of drag-dropping action. Intro from the author:
"SlickRun is a free floating command line utility for Windows. SlickRun gives you almost instant access to any program or website. SlickRun allows you to create command aliases (known as MagicWords), so C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe becomes MAIL. Enter a web URL into SlickRun and it will launch your browser and navigate to the specified address. Run multiple programs in a few keystrokes, jot a note, look up a definition... SlickRun is the most natural way to interact with your computer."
I actually wanted to wait for several testing days before posting an entry about this. But 2 days is enough, this one will sure stay. Now, with Windows+Q I can pop it up, and run loads of commands like an expert CLI guru that we all dreamt to be since we're small. Now, I can do things in quadruple the speed. I use it to fire up my trusty regex app, run my texteditor, do a net send, run a google search, open a folder, open a webpage, and order a McDonald delivery . Well ok, I can't do that last one. But hey, I can make a program to do that and invoke it from SlickRun if I want...

3 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cayalah, pasti aku coba ini
Yes, let us all chase our dreams...
Post a Comment
<< Home