This blog has moved to http://ikhwanhayat.net

Monday, March 13, 2006

Netsh to Configure IP From Command Line

We did an IP Migration here during last Friday night until Saturday. The IT team who's the one doing it actually, but we (the app dev team) have to to stay and make sure our application and DB servers are reconfigured correctly.

And guess what, tough luck, my "adopted" server -- the one with my app on it -- was making problem. The Local Area Connection icon, which usually I right-click and see the properties and change the IP from the dialog window, doesn't show up in the Network Connections. Me, being a pampered Windows user, was totally baffled by this (okay, I'm not really a network guy, so I think I can be pardoned). How do I change the IP?

After a quick googling, I found out that, guess what? You can change the IP from the command-line! Whoa, I thought you can only do that in Linux/BSD :P It's done using the "netsh" command. --- netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static <ip address> <subnet mask ip> <default gateway ip> ---

These are the very helpful URLs:

Configure TCP/IP from the Command Prompt http://www.petri.co.il/configure_tcp_ip_from_cmd.htm

Using Netsh http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/netsh.mspx

I was unable to specify the default gateway. I tried putting "none" in the command, and it works, so good enough, no more tinkering. The machine is quite old, and been treated like a "step-sister" because the app was not actually a critical one.

2 Comments:

At 3/17/2006 11:39:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dalam ittutor dah discuss guna netsh. tak payah guna pakcik google sebenarnya.

--
ihsan

 
At 3/21/2006 09:50:00 pm, Blogger Ikhwan Hayat said...

Oh, dah discuss pjg lebar rupanya.. Thanks for the link bro ihsan ..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home